My Company Launches Our First Kickstarter!
Night Shift: Veterans of the Supernatural Wars
Debuting the new Elf Lair Games house system, O.G.R.E.S., Night Shift: Veterans of the Supernatural Wars is an urban fantasy, horror, and dark modern supernatural game that uses old-school mechanics derived from the original, basic, expert, and advanced versions of the World's Most Famous Role Playing Game. It allows you to mimic all the tropes of just about any film, TV series, or novels you like.
All of the following are possible with Night Shift:
- Cheerleaders that are chosen to slay vampires, granted with extranormal powers to accomplish their destiny;
- Sisters imbued with the power of chosen witches;
- Worlds where Fae of all manner battle in the politics of light and dark;
- The great-grandniece of a famous gunslinger inherits the legacy of the demon hunter;
- A world where two brothers armed with knowledge and weapons hunt the supernatural in their father's name;
- And more!
Night Shift is built to handle just about any sort of urban fantasy you can dream up, using the tropes of classic horror-based television, motion pictures, comics, and novels.
Designed by industry veterans Jason Vey and Timothy Brannan, whose names have appeared in such products as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Ghosts of Albion, Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space, C.J. Carella's WitchCraft, All Flesh Must be Eaten!, Nightbane, Amazing Adventures, Castles & Crusades and more, this game brings together two noted designers with decades of combined experience.
Within its pages, you'll find:
- Complete character generation using familiar stats
- Major character archetypes, including the Survivor ("I've seen something weird"), Veteran ("I hunt something weird"), Chosen One ("I am the weird thing that other weird things fear"), Theosophist ("I see weird dead things"), Psychic ("I sense and control something weird"), Sage ("I study weird things"), and Witch/Warlock ("I am something weird")
- Complete rules for magic, psychic powers, and necromancy/spirit channeling
- Customizable supernatural character race--play a werewolf, vampire, succubus, or fae
- An optional skills system to expand what your character can do
- A simple rules system comprised of three basic mechanics, designed for fast and intuitive play
- Variant styles and levels of play that modify the system to represent gritty, realistic, and cinematic styles
- A GM section with tips and tricks on creating a series, seasons, and more, as well as guildelines for building custom character classes
- A full bestiary with all of the classic monsters like werewolves, vampires, demons, devils, zombies, mummies, and a few new surprises
- Several complete mini-settings you can use to get up and running right away
- Conversion rules to use the game with Original and B/X, and O.R.C.S (Elf Lair's Spellcraft & Swordplay) systems
- A complete alternate combat system, which hearkens back to the very earliest days of the hobby, before the publication of the first version of the World's Most Famous RPG.
What Is O.G.R.E.S?
O.G.R.E.S. stands for "Oldschool Generic Roleplaying Engine System." It's the new house system for Elf Lair Games, which will run alongside our current O.R.C.S. and Cd8 Systems. It's another step forward in presenting a new approach to a "unified system" for running just about any kind of game, using mechanics that will be instantly familiar to players of "old school" fantasy games, specifically those that powered the Original, Basic, Expert, and Advanced versions of the World's Most Famous Role Playing Game.
What O.G.R.E.S. does, however, is streamline and codify these mechanics, to remove what many view as arcane and confusing elements, and break the system down into a fast-playing, fun, easy-to-understand, and open presentation, adding a few modern design elements to improve the smooth play.
This also means that the majority of products which are compatible with any of these editions of the game, are also compatible with O.G.R.E.S.
On a Personal Note
This Kickstarter is kind of a big deal for me. It's an effort to take Elf Lair Games into the realm of a genuine small publisher who can afford to do print runs of books, assign bar codes and ISBN numbers, and eventually, hopefully, get us into distribution. Everything is kind of riding on how well this does, including the release of Spellcraft & Swordplay Second Edition. Will it ruin me if it doesn't fund? No, but it does keep Elf Lair in the bottom tier of our capabilities. So if you can support, please do. $8,000 is a reasonable goal for this puppy, but if we can hit $15,000, I'll be absolutely thrilled.
Anyway, thanks for checking it out. Pledge if you can, and please share it around. Let's make this happen...Carpe Noctem!